Originally founded in 1901 as First Baptist Church (FBC) in Point Richmond, WayPointe Christian Fellowship has a long history in the city of Richmond and has the special honor of being our city’s oldest church.
In 1912, because of the city of Richmond’s urban renewal program, the church property in Point Richmond was annexed to the city and the congregation needed to relocate. Between 1912 and 1967, FBC subsequently relocated into two additional building locations in the downtown Richmond area, first at 10th and Nevin, and then at 13th and Barrett. By that time the church’s buildings covered a city block and FBC was Richmond’s biggest church.
In 1968, FBC built a multi-purpose building and education center at 777 Sonoma Street in the neighborhood also referred to as East Richmond Heights. In 1982, the church built a new sanctuary and church offices at 770 Sonoma Street to accommodate its growing congregation.
For many years, FBC was heavily involved in missionary work to the Yiu-Mienh people through Bible translation work as well as through helping them to assimilate into American society. The building at 777 Sonoma was then used for many years by the growing congregation of the Yiu-Mienh Baptist Church, to whom the building was recently sold.
On December 14, 2006, the First Baptist Church of Richmond congregation changed its name to WayPointe Christian Fellowship (WCF). The current location for WayPointe Christian Fellowship is at 770 Sonoma Street.
WayPointe Christian Fellowship is a congregation of American Baptists, joined in the association of Growing Healthy Churches (GHC). We have a long history of serving our community through partnerships with local schools, homeless shelters, and nursing homes to share the love of Jesus Christ with our neighbors and the city of Richmond! We welcome you to come visit us any Sunday for our Worship Services at 10:30 AM!